Wednesday 11 June 2014

2 May, 2014: Introduction of Choreography

Keen to speed up rehearsal progress and develop my performances, I brought in the instrumental that I used to perform "Fire" at the Talent Show fundraiser which features simple guitar accompaniment and backing vocals by myself, complete with counter melodies and harmonies. I retained the backing vocals as though I'd asked Serena and Stefan to accompany me on the sing by singing backing vocals, it would be impossible to replicate every single part I recorded.

I began choreographing by playing the instrumental repeatedly and improvising simple sways and steps which Serena and Stefan could replicate with ease. I settled with a combination of a lean and finger snaps/clicks for the intro and choruses whilst for the verses I choreographed a simple, variation of a right-left march but with the feet staying flat on the ground whilst the knees rise up and point forwards. The upper body should be free and led by the shoulders as it rocks from side to side as one alternates the movement of the legs. As the march gets repetitive in the verses, I developed it further by adding double time sections.

Here are the lyrics in my shortened arrangment of Michelle Williams' "Fire" - which does not contain the bridge, last chorus or outro of the original song - colour-coded with choreography pointers:

Key:
Choreography: Lean & Finger Snaps
Choreography: March & Sway
Choreography: March & Sway (Double Time)
Lyrics not used in my arrangement

Oh yeah
Oh yeah

They say anything that is worth it you must take it slow
They know when you come around ain't no choice but to grow
Listen for what you say when I lay down my head
I don't know no other way, but to let you have your way


And no it don't always feel good
But yet, it all works for my good
You say I can take the burn blazing deep inside


It's feels just like fire, fire caught up in my bones
Don't leave me alone, don't leave me alone
Oh my, my little light
I need to feel that heat come from your (fire)
Fire, fire caught up in my bones
Don't leave me alone, don't leave me alone
Just shine like stars in the night
We need to feel that heat come from your fire
 
Oh yeah
Oh yeah
 
Just like them boys Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Abednego)
I know when I come out the flames won't be smelling like smoke, oh no
Yup, that's just what you said, it went straight to my head
Remembering every day, to let you have your way


And no it don't always feel good
But yet, it all works for my good
You say I can take the burn blazing deep inside


It's feels just like fire, fire all up in my bones
Don't leave alone, don't leave me alone
Oh my, my little light
I need to feel that heat come from your (fire)
Fire, fire caught up in my bones
Don't leave me alone, don't leave me alone
Just shine like stars in the night
We need to feel that heat come from your fire

[Bridge:]
When your work is done, I'll be here shining bright
The pressure upon me, like diamonds in the sky
Turn into fire, I want to feel your fire
All over it fills me, Jesus you purify me

[Chorus: x3]
It's feels just like fire, fire caught up in my bones
Don't leave me alone, don't leave me alone
Oh my, my little light
I need to feel that heat come from your (fire)
Fire, fire caught up in my bones
Don't leave me alone, don't leave me alone
Just shine like stars in the night
We need to feel that heat come from your fire 

[Outro]

In place of the original song's bridge, the following series of repeated choruses and outro, the acoustic instrumental I found on YouTube (and edited) gradually fades out as I ad-lib to end the song.

Serena picked up the simple choreography instantly but Stefan (who has not studied dance previously as myself and Serena have) struggled with the synchronisation of his feet and his upper body on the marches and also the double time sections. By the end of the rehearsal he did manage to perform the choreography but was still inconsistent and looked awkward on the marches. This is something I'll work on with him as it is vital that everyone looks comfortable and at ease on stage with our theme and event title both being The Lounge.

Stefan was far more confident providing backing vocals however. Whilst Serena sang the lead vocal melody on the chorus (allowing me to ad-lib), Stefan competently improvised different harmonies throughout the rehearsal to see which worked best with no input from me whatsoever, which allowed me to focus on the visual side of the performance. 

I also lent time to Elica's solo performance of Emeli Sande's "Read All About It, Pt. III", giving her feedback after she performed it for the rest of the group. I commented that though it is evident that her nervous laughs are under control, she still needs to build her confidence and project her voice so it travels across the room and not get lost in the space or behind the instrumental track.

No comments:

Post a Comment